Hello, I am Samuel Klein, wikipedian, linguaphile, and inclusionist. I am currently working on a national digital library, and at a "purpose of the Internet" research group. In the past I directed part of a global education project and served as a trustee of the Wikimedia Foundation.
Currently working on matchmaking people with ideas. My writing background consists of a few journals and newsletters, doggerel on the back of exams, broadsheets on telephone poles, philosophical essays, and marked-up drafts of [others'] texts in red and blue. My academic background includes physics, mathematics, algorithms and language. In the Wikiverse: you can find me on the English Wikipedia, and occasionally on Wikibooks, Wiktionary (see also mod-wiktionary), the OLPC wiki, and some smaller language wikis: Nahuatl and Swahili. Currently taking collab notes on Hypothesis XXX - synchrony across annotation systems for all sorts of knowledge (e.g., via hypothes.is and open annotation).
- Recent peering: User:Sj/peer | Challenges | Federated knowledge
- To contact me: My talkpage · meta.sj <at> gmail · +1 617 529 4266 · metasj (Skype)
Movement thoughts on roles / fundraising / Chapter-WMF discussions
Wikipedia Zero | International grantmaking and US Executive Order 13224
If you need assistance: I also help monitor edits to smaller projects. Please leave me a message or request.
17 new pages on meta:
- 03:14, 12 maj 2021 2011-12 Fundraising and Funds Dissemination process/Recommendations/nqo (hist | uredi) [29.354 bajta] 22.214.171.124 (razgovor)
- 01:46, 12 maj 2021 Abstract Wikipedia/Updates/2021-05-11/en (hist | uredi) [6.818 bajtova] FuzzyBot (razgovor | doprinosi)
- 00:45, 12 maj 2021 Abstract Wikipedia/Updates/2021-05-11 (hist | uredi) [8.041 bajt] DVrandecic (WMF) (razgovor | doprinosi) oznaka: vizualno uređivanje
- 19:31, 11 maj 2021 Wikimedia Foundation elections/2021/What communities want to know about candidates (hist | uredi) [1.506 bajtova] JKoerner (WMF) (razgovor | doprinosi)
- 17:12, 11 maj 2021 Federated knowledge graphs/interlace (hist | uredi) [660 bajtova] Sj (razgovor | doprinosi) oznaka: uređivanje izvornog kôda (2017)
- 15:55, 11 maj 2021 Art+Feminism User Group/Safe Space Policy (hist | uredi) [11.514 bajtova] Kiraface (razgovor | doprinosi) prvobitno kreirano kao "Art+Feminism User Group/Safespacepolicy"
- 13:22, 11 maj 2021 Wikimedia movement affiliates/Naming guidelines/ko (hist | uredi) [2.801 bajt] 리듬 (razgovor | doprinosi)
- 10:29, 11 maj 2021 Movement Strategy/Updates/fr (hist | uredi) [326 bajtova] Vincent Simar (razgovor | doprinosi)
- 10:19, 11 maj 2021 Universal Code of Conduct/Board ratification change log/fr (hist | uredi) [8.395 bajtova] Vincent Simar (razgovor | doprinosi)
- 10:12, 11 maj 2021 OTRS/Naming convention/fr (hist | uredi) [1.999 bajtova] Vincent Simar (razgovor | doprinosi)
- 09:30, 11 maj 2021 Steward requests/Permissions/Minimum voting requirements/ja (hist | uredi) [7.043 bajta] Tmv (razgovor | doprinosi)
- 07:39, 11 maj 2021 Universal Code of Conduct/2021 consultations/Roundtable discussions/ca (hist | uredi) [4.161 bajt] Davidpar (razgovor | doprinosi)
- 02:42, 11 maj 2021 OTRS/Naming convention/ja (hist | uredi) [2.161 bajt] Miya (razgovor | doprinosi)
- 02:33, 11 maj 2021 Abstract Wikipedia/Tasks/sco (hist | uredi) [39.369 bajtova] ActuallyNeverHappened02 (razgovor | doprinosi)
- 01:29, 11 maj 2021 OTRS/Naming convention/th (hist | uredi) [2.886 bajtova] Patsagorn Y. (razgovor | doprinosi)
- 01:15, 11 maj 2021 WikiConference North America/2021/Templates/esHeader (hist | uredi) [1.123 bajta] Peaceray (razgovor | doprinosi)
- 01:14, 11 maj 2021 WikiConference North America/2021/Templates/frHeader (hist | uredi) [1.116 bajtova] Peaceray (razgovor | doprinosi)
News : Managing translations revisited. Long-term strategy for Wikimedia projects is being discussed and planned with some vigor | How Wikipedia Works, a book on using Wikipedia from nostarch press (with cameos by the sister projects) | LSS revived! | coralline ideas for generalized message-distribution : a way around the 100-mailing-list coordination problem. | Pimp your edits! | Mailing lists/cleanup
Interesting : Modern translation and coordination @ the Embassy, pages linked from Requests. A new Stewards noticeboard. A new Main page? Level activity across request types, improve feedback for uses of Special:CentralAuth, improve [[Help:]] pages about cross-wiki special pages/tools. New contributor objections
- FDC complaint mid-2015 without clear timeline for response?
Fun : SJ Klein with Wikipedian Guy, reprises of old Wikimedia Quarto sidefeatures... like interviews with Ward Cunningham and Larry Lessig.
Pressworthy pages : User:Sj/PR
Village Pumps: ar, da, de, eo, es, fr, it, ja, nl, sv, zh, bab
Strategy : w:User:John_Carter/Opinions (2009), 2015?
Top of the desk.
Active projects (see also Project map) | Wikiproject group, Digitizing and Translation with MW... Digest / on en: | Annonces | MP
elian excellence: Incoming tech requests | Wikipedia languages
meta-slimming: Historical Wikipedia pages | statistics, on en:
- old pages to slim: The importance of being Wikipedia, ...
- older budget thoughts : Long term plans
- communication models : the Why Give blog
- Mania over time
- Deleted pages to watch : <empty>
WMF events future: (see Board agenda; other agenda; &c. Last 2 quarters' planning unexpectedly light; energy drawn into private channels)
WMF events past: WMF.org chat, #wm, Sat July 24
| Vereins-Chat, #wm.de, Fri July 30 | Wikimania, August 2005
WM News, Sept 10+. | W-News | M:HP | Babel/Babylon
21 fahrplan, Dec 26-28
The Dao of Wiki * Quirks of int'l grantmaking
Resolved, that ... WMPH - why did these stop being shared on Meta? Cross-wiki links needed.
I am thinking of ways to
- improve key sites: Wikimedia website(Main, Fundraising, GFDL), http://www.wikimedia.org redirection page
- improve key meta pages: Goings-on(t), Meta:Babel(t, Interorg relations.)
- move meta-discussions to meta:, from en: and other subprojects.
- improve community:
- better multilingualism / translation across WM,
- nuanced interactions with new users, playful trolls, nascent vandals, non-editor readers; article validation
- meshed ideas, empirics, and [pre]conceived notions relating to community infrastruture, vision-building, interaction, insight and insanity, ...
- unify discussion: power structures within WM and across WP-instances (covering Ver ein/ Wreader and es: split issues as well as the mundane)
- help propose new projects: Wikifamily, Wikinews, Pa/Pr/Fu, Media, Prufing, Review...
- design a few feature improvements
- help people who reuse wikimedia content recognize the projects the content came from
- help others and future selves see what I see
- share test writing and wiki work
Topics belonging uniquely here:
+ Developer committee, Finance committee, Editor committee, PR committee -- for helping to coordinate and divide labor in those key areas.
+ Translation crew for discussing and processing multilingual issues; translation, communication, official languages, &c.
+ Press Corps for handling press IDs, contacting major events, getting exclusive interviews and photoshoots. See also Wikews.
+ Other groups to plan for Grants, Collateral, Legal issues, Outreach/User groups, Publicity, Print issues, Partnerships.
+ WM-wide mesh ('organization chart', 'project map', 'topic map', 'discussion counter', 'Wikipedia languages')
+ My MediaWiki feature requests
+ Division of labor requests
+ (c): Jamesday on #wp, en:Wikipedia:Copyright...
+ Chapters: Verein, Association, EO chapter in France...
+ New pages, Article validation, villi...
te : soughameter optional)